2 months ago, I have broken my F42 flash Hotshoes… It happened when I mounted my flashgun onto my Softbox. The wind was strong outdoor and it blew my whole softbox stand and crashed to the ground, resulting in my plastic F42 hotshoes broken. The good thing is, the flash was not broken into pieces and still working properly. The bad thing is, to change that small piece of plastic, the Sony Service Centre quote me Rm 270 including the labor charge. The spare part actually cost Rm 110, but it is the labor fee of RM160 that I am unwilling to pay. To me, it is not worth paying almost 40% of the amount of the flash original price, for that piece of plastic.
So I decided to take my chance and DIY myself. I tried to google for tutorial on how to change the hotshoes ourselves, but failed to find any of them. I proceed in ordering the part and go ahead and change it. It doesn’t take me more than 10 minutes to replace the part! Is as easy as building a Gundam plastic figure! haha. I am glad I can save the extra bucks for something as easy as this. And I wish I can help those who experience the same problem as mine by giving this tutorial.
NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL GUIDE, SO TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I say it is simple… but that doesn’t mean it will work 100% for everyone. Accident could happen if you are careless in anything you are doing.
Cut the Terms & Condition and lets begin:
1. This is the part I have ordered (for F42) + the cost of the part. Takes them 2 weeks to arrive.
2. A closer look at the Hotshoe part… The main thing to take note is the yellow wire. Be gentle not to Bend it.
3. Unscrew the 4 screws underneath the hotshoes. You will need a mini Philip head screwdriver. Keep your screws at a safe place. The spare part does not comes with additional screws so you will not want to loose them.
4. Remove the part slowly as there is a wire attached from the inside.
5. To detach the wire is easy. If you have a tiny finger.. you may pull the wire out from its slot . I am a little more cautious, so instead of using finger to pull them out… I used a needle/ Toothpick to slowly push the wire out from its slot (see the photo. there are 2 holes at the side of the wires. I am not sure if they are there for this purpose ?)
6. Now that you have taken out the OLD part.. Installing the NEW part is just a mirrored process.
7. Take the new part and first push in the wire into its slot. WARNING: MAKE SURE IT IS FACING THE CORRECT SIDE! The wiring will not work if you slot in the wrong side. I was careless at the first time. Good thing it can be taken out easily.
THE WRONG SIDE
THE CORRECT SIDE
8. Screw back the 4 screws.
9. DONE! Here you go the new Hotshoe for your F42. Keep the old part as you may need it, if lets say example the spring that used to detach the flash from the camera is broken next time (lets hope it wont happen).
Hope this tutorial can help those who need it & need more confidence b4 DIY themselves. Is my first tutorial post so I hope my explanation is clear enough. I wish to do a tutorial on how to Calibrate your Alpha camera but that is a bit … dangerous & require lots of patience. Better let the expert guide you instead.